What is PreKure?
PreKure is a social enterprise dedicated to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) definition of human health: “a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
To improve the population’s health, we must ‘pre cure’. We must prevent ill-health in the first place and optimise for hauora/wellbeing.
We are a team of health professionals highly-educated in the science and practise of lifestyle medicine.
What does PreKure do?
- PreKure trains, develops and accredits Health Coaches. PreKure Health Coaches are the best in the world.
- PreKure is a continuing medical education provider for medical professionals.
- PreKure educates and provides FREE Lifestyle Medicine programs to the general public.
How does it work?
- Enrol in one of our courses
- The choice is yours, simply upskill in one area, or complete 5 of the courses and become a PreKure certified Health Coach
- Your investment really helps. For every course you buy, we give a lifestyle medicine program for free. Together we can change medicine. Prevention is cure.
What is a Social Enterprise?
Enterprise with Purpose. Social Enterprises are purpose-driven organisations that trade to deliver positive social and environmental impact.
What is Lifestyle Medicine?
In scientific terms, it is a blend of complex physiology and behavioural sciences that prevents preventable diseases and treats modifiable illness. We define Lifestyle Medicine as a personalised prescription of behavioural sciences and psychology, nutrition, sleep, and movement.
I’m a General Practitioner, why should I join PreKure?
By joining PreKure, you can create the changes in medicine that you want to see. Here are three ways to achieve this:
1. Join the movement that tackles the root cause of disease.
2. Discover the evidence base for preventive medicine.
3. Change your practice and challenge the mentality surrounding long-term conditions
Continued Professional Development
Are PreKure courses registered as Continued Professional Development?
CPD & CME points available. We are in the process of gaining NZQA L4 Qualification for our Health Coach Certificate.
12.5 CPD REPs points also available per course.
PreKure Health Coach Certificate
Why do a Health Coach Certificate (HCC)?
The current health system is failing sufferers of chronic disease—we need health coaches to help solve the problem. By completing our online courses and becoming a PreKure certified health coach, you can support people in making the critical lifestyle changes required to dramatically improve their health and hauora/wellbeing.
Which courses make up the Certificate?
The Health Coach Certificate is made up of the following courses:
- PK101: Health & Behaviour Change
- PK102: Nutrition: The Science and Practice
- PK103: Physical Activity, Exercise, and Health
- PK104: Mind-Body Medicine
- PK105: Making Sense of Research
- PK106: Medications and Navigating the Healthcare System
You must complete and pass five of these six courses to complete the Certificate. PK101: Health & Behaviour Change is compulsory.
When does each course start and finish?
Each course opens on the first day of the month and must be completed by the last day of that month.
Can I go at my own pace?
Yes, you can. Each course in the Health Coach Certificate (HCC) can easily be completed within four weeks by committing to four or five hours of work per week.
How long does it take to complete the Certificate?
The certificate takes five months on a part-time basis. It is possible to complete the HCC within two to three months if it’s done on a full-time basis, with two to three courses completed per month. Each course usually takes between 12 and 20 hours and consists of six 60–90 minute modules, with each module requiring a further 30–90 minutes of reading and/or reflective practise.
Are there jobs for Health Coaches?
Yes. Health Coaches are employed in GP clinics, pharmacies, Governmental organizations, hospitals, insurance companies, corporate employers, and more. Alternatively, you can also start your own health coaching business.
How do I know if I will make a good Health Coach?
Are you passionate about health and wellbeing? Do you like to help other people and find it easy to build relationships? Are you a good listener? If so, health coaching could be for you! Health Coaches believe in people. They believe that people can change, and they bring optimism and efficiency to the change process.
What are the benefits of a Health Coach Certificate?
- You’ll get the practical tools and resources you need to make your job as a Health Coach, GP, Nurse, Nutritionist, PT, mum/dad, or caregiver easier. You’ll learn the latest science as well as the art of coaching, and you’ll discover how to achieve sustainable behaviour change.
- You’ll discover the evidence base for preventive medicine.
- Enjoy more job satisfaction and see better health outcomes for your clients/patients who suffer from chronic conditions.
- Earn CPD and/or CME points.
Can I do the Health Coach Certificate even if I don’t plan on practising as a Health Coach?
Yes. This certificate is designed for those who work with clients and/or patients, teaching you how to change their behaviour and ultimately improve their health and wellbeing. You will also learn many tips and tricks that will help you and your loved ones personally as well. To date, we have had GPs, nurses, full-time mums, gardeners, IT specialists, and more enrolling for this certificate!